UPF Home1This site disseminates information about the proposed
Universal Preservation Format for the archiving of media assets.
SURVEY RESULTS as of Feb.6, 1998 || FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS
SURVEY RESULTS: SINGLE HTML PAGE
NEWS || VIEWS || RESOURCES || TABLE OF CONTENTS
CROSS-DOMAIN GLOSSARY (490k)
UPF Recommended Practice:
- NHPRC advocacy grant proposal. (in pdf format 58K)
- "Observations on UPF as a Conservation Medium."
by Paul Messier, Boston Art Conservation
presented at the Association of Moving Image Archivists convention on December 9, 1998.
- "Toward a Universal Data Format for the Preservation Of Media."
by Dave MacCarn in SMPTE Journal (106:477, July 1997).
- "Fundamentals and Updates"
Transcription of UPF presentation delivered by Thom Shepard at Music Library Association 2/13/98.
Best viewed in Netscape 3.0 and Internet Explorer 3.0 or higher. Text only version.
- "Universal Preservation Format (UPF): Conceptual Framework" by Thom Shepard
in RGL DigiNews, December 15, 1998, Volume 2, Number 6
Feature article: Digital Archiving: Approaches for Statistical Files, Moving Images, and Audio Recordings
- "Universal Preservation Format Update"
by Thom Shepard in D-Lib Magazine (November 1997)
- UPF presentation delivered by Mary Ide at SAA 8/25/97. (pdf format 800K)
- Basics of the UPF, a presentation on some technical components of Digital Preservation, last revised 10/14/97. (pdf format 420K)
- UPF presentation delivered to AMIA 12/5/96. (in pdf format 325K)
- AMIA UPF 1996 zipped (pdf zipped 165K) binhexed version (pdf hqx 200K)
Links to background information:
- Bento Specification, Copyright (c) 1993, Apple Computer, Inc.
Bento Design Overview (HTML)
Bento Specification (PDF)
- Open Media Framework Interchange Specification, Copyright (c) 1995 Avid Technology, Inc.[retrieve at: http://www.avid.com/3rdparty/omfi/index.html]
- SMPTE/EBU Task Force for Harmonized Standards for the Exchange of Program Material as Bit Streams, Copyright (c) 1998 European Broadcasting Union and the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, Inc.
Final Report now available! [retrieve at : http://www.smpte.org/engr/ebumeet1.html]
- QuickTime 3.0 Technology Brief Whitepaper, Copyright (c) 1997 Apple. [retrieve via : http://www.apple.com/quicktime/]
- Video Metadata Group (VMG): Metadata Dictionary. [retrieve via: http://http://www.ismc.nima.mil/vwg/]
"The metadata dictionary identifies video metadata and defines a suggested hierarchy and format for that metadata. A standard approach to video metadata will assist in the retrieval, interpretation, and exploitation of content, as well as archive storage of the video product."
A listserv has also been set up at UPF@info.wgbh.org, to subscribe send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Subscribe UPF your name" in the body of the message.
For help send "help" to email@example.com.
1This site made possible in part by a grant (97-029) from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission of the National Archives.
If you need the pdf reader, click here ->